Language check for doctoral thesis done
Last week, I finally submitted my doctoral thesis for pre-examination. Assuming all goes well, I should be graduating this Autumn, or early next year. So yay me!
Anyways, that’s not the main point today. The main point is that I had to perform a third-party language check for my thesis. That’s simply the policy of our university, it seems.
After some consideration, I ended up using a company called englanniksi.fi. (The name could be translated as InEnglish.fi) It’s a small business based in Finland, with the language checking itself performed by a native English speaker. (Not that it automatically means it’s good – most of Youtube comments are written by native speakers after all.)
Below, you can find a brief summary about my experience with them, with both pros and cons listed.
How it works
Language checking in general works like this:
- You send your manuscript.
- You either wait a while, or you wait a freaking nerve-cracking long while.
- You get back a corrected manuscript. Optionally, you may also get an explanation of why each correction was made, and maybe some suggestions for improvement.
- You pay, or you pay a lot.
How I liked it
Below, you can find some pros and cons about the englanniksi.fi service that I ended up using.
- Only a corrected manuscript is returned; i.e. no explanations about why the corrections were made. This may or may not bother you, depending on how you learn and stuff.
- The service was very fast – I got the corrected manuscript back within a week or so. Some other service providers can take several weeks for checking a thesis, which is far too much in my opinion.
- Very affordable. I paid less than 400 euros after taxes. Based on a quick comparison, the closest competitor would have charged more than that before.
Buy me a beer
Yeah, I ended up closing my first-ever affliate deal with them. So if you ever need to language-check anything, do it here and tell ’em I sent you, and I’ll get to buy myself a beer.
I’ll even buy one for you – how’s that for a deal?
Need help with electric motor design or design software? Let's get in touch - satisfaction guaranteed!